Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mangoes!

Before we left the US I probably could have counted on one hand the number of times I had eaten a mango.  While in language school in Costa Rica, we bought mangoes at the local market.  I would make a mango salsa that was a variation of a recipe from my dad.  When we moved to the Dominican Republic in January, someone pointed out to us the mango trees in our yard.  Since we share a yard with two other families, I had hoped that there would be enough mangoes for us to have a few when the season came.  Well, the season is here and we are up to our eyeballs in mangoes! I had no clue how many mangoes a tree could produce! So we have enjoyed mangoes in many shapes and sorts over the past week.  Our 3 year old son enjoys eating them chilled and then peeled.  He usually takes his shirt off first as the juice runs all over his hands and down his face and neck.  I have made mango juice, mango salsa, mango cobbler and a mango oatmeal breakfast drink (my least favorite recipe).  I suppose I'll keep trying new recipes as the mangoes keep coming.  The tree is still full of mangoes that aren't ripe yet, so I think we might have a few more weeks of mango madness.

No comments: