Monday, March 23, 2009

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go!

Monday-Friday we leave our house shortly after 7:00. On a good morning, we are out by 7:15 and we enjoy a leisure 5-10 minute stroll to school. We drop Micah off at his school first. After tearful good byes, Ryan and I head up the hill to the other side of campus where we begin our day's work. We don't punch a clock and our teacher's don't even seem to care if we are a few minutes late, but don't underestimate the task that lies ahead each day. From the moment we enter the classroom, our focus is LEARN SPANISH. We listen to Spanish, read in Spanish and try our best to speak Spanish. Our teachers have gotten a bit more ridgid since they welcomed us less than three months ago because they too understand the task at hand. We MUST learn Spanish. In order to function in our daily lives, it is necessary. Whether giving directions to a cab driver, talking to Micah's teachers, or meeting people at church, it is necessry. But that is just our day to day living. In order to answer God's call in our lives to minister to the people of the Dominican Republic, it is most necessary.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey Vandelindes!

This is the first time I've checked out your blog, and it's great! I'll be keeping up with your progress - it's so exciting to see what God is doing through you guys. Yo entiendo completemente la meta de aprender un idioma nuevo, pero Uds. pueden hacerlo, no se preocupan! :) I love Monteverde, so glad you got to go there! And by the way, that's a gecko, not a lizard in one of the previous blogs. ;)

un abrazote,
Tiff

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tiff!

Joni said...

I have not tried very hard to learn Spanish, but I think if I had to learn, the only way I would be successful would be to immerse myself like you are doing daily. On my trips to the Dom Rep, I regret not being able to communicate. It was so difficult with our 3 days of VBS -"Escuela Biblica" not being able to talk to the kids!! I am so proud of you!!